Morpheme is the smallest meaningful unit of morphology. There are 2 types of morpheme they are free morpheme and bound morpheme.
Free morpheme (bebas)
Free morpheme is the roots which are capable standing by itself. Ex: smart, sing, pen, make
- Lexical morpheme (content words/ open class words): carry the content of word include: noun, verbs, adjective, adverb. Ex: beauty, play, sing
- Functional morpheme (function words): include Pronoun, article, conjunction, preposition. Ex: and, from, in, or, etc.
Bound morpheme (terikat)
Bound morpheme is the roots which are cannot stand by themselves.
- Derivation morpheme: change either the meaning and word class of root into which they are attached. Ex: develop – development : V – N; dan tambahan lain yang merubah kelas kata: re, ment, ly, ing,
- Inflexional morpheme : don’t change the class of words adn meaning of roots into word they are attacted. Ex: book – books; dan tambahan lain yang tidak merubah kelas kata: s, es, est, ed,
Bound morpheme – affixations
- Prefix – an affix attached to the front of a base. Ex: re – play = replay
- Suffix – an affix attached to the end of a base. Ex: kind- ness kindness
- Infix – an affix that is occurs within a base